Skip to main content

ok its been a slow turkey discussion so I thought I would throw this out for extra white meat. I am smoking this in my FEC100 to go with the whole turkey and found the recipe on the serious eats website.

Turkey Porchetta
J. Kenji López-Alt

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
• 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
• 4 medium cloves garlic
• 1/2 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 whole bone-in, skin-on turkey breast (about 4 to 5 pounds), patted dry
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 quart low sodium homemade or store-bought chicken or turkey stock
• 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
• 1 large stalk celery, roughly chopped
• 1 medium onion, roughly choppped
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons flour
Combin 2 teaspoons kosher salt, whole black peppercorns, sage leaves, garlic, fennel seed, and red pepper flakes in the bowl of a food processors. Process until a rough paste is formed, scraping down sides as necessary, about 30 seconds.
小心地删除skin from the turkey breast and lay it flat. Reserve the carcass for gravy. Using your hands and a boning knife, carefully remove the breast meat from the carcass. Set aside the tenderloins for another use. Follow the the slideshow here for step-by-step photos.
Lay one breast half on top of the turkey skin and butterfly the thicker end by cutting through it horizontally with a boning knife, leaving the last 1/2-inch intact, then folding out the flap. Repeat with the other breast half. Follow the the slideshow here for step-by-step photos.
Make a series of parallel slashes at 1-inch intervals in the turkey meat cutting about 1/2-inch into the meat. Repeat with a second series or slashed perpendicular to the first. Rub the spice/herb mixture into the meat, making sure to get it into all of the cracks. Follow the the slideshow here for step-by-step photos.
Carefully roll of the turkey meat into a tight cylinder, using the skin to completely enclose it. Tie the roast tightly with butcher's twine at 1-inch intervals, as well as once lengthwise. Transfer the roast to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 6 hours and up to 2 days. Follow the the slideshow here for step-by-step photos.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.
Baidu
map