Skip to main content

I stuffed a 15.5 lb packer in the 025 last night at 530 and set temp to 180. Got up this morning at 530 and bumped it to 225. I suspect it's in a stall right now (0730) with an internal of 167. I want to eat it tonight around 6 pmish. If I dump the smoker and set the holding temp at 140 when the internal hits 195, how long can I "hold" it without drying it out? Or will FTC be the better option? Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My experience with the hold function on my 066 is very limited. I don't think drying out is the problem. Rather, I've found that the 066 is so well insulated that it takes a while for the temp to drop to 140 once the hold kicks in. I'd go with FTC (as I usually do), but if you use the hold, I'd monitor the IT so that it doesn't overcook.

Thanks! The IT is 188 now so it won't be too much longer. I was thinking I could just open the door for a bit to drop to 140 then close it. But it looks like a 6-hour hold. Even at 140, it will still dry ..I think? prolly pull it in 4 hours and slice it then put it in the fridge. I'm afraid FTC for that long will dry the flat too much.

Well, to report the outcome it was my best home-cooked brisket sans the smoke ring. At 195 around 1230 I probed the point it was 205 and the flat was 208. I dropped the temp to 140 and aired it out for about 5 minutes. Closed the door. The temp climbed to 167 in the hold position but it was ambient heat. Let it ride till 5 pm. Unplugged the smoker and let rest for another hour till 6 pm. Pulled and carved with an electric serrated knife. Both flat and point were pulled apart tender. Naturally, the flat was a little dry but not crumbly. My seasoning was Salt Lick original...nothing else. I didn't even trim the brisket ...I think that was where I was screwing up. I really liked the fact that I could depend on the smoker not to overcook it like the FTC methods I used for this kind of hold time. Hope this helps someone with a smaller cookshack.

I sorta judge it on the size of the meat. For brisket, anything over 13 lbs needs around 24 hours if overnight is at 180. Pork butt takes about the same but is much more forgiving. It can rest in the smoker for a couple hours at 140. Now y'all have me thinking about brisket...Might be because I just finished my last jar of Wick Fowler's Texas chili made with leftover brisket from last time. Addictive stuff!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.
Baidu
map