Skip to main content

I just finished smoking this chuck roast. I smoked at 250 degrees for 5 hours and 40 minutes with cherry wood (all I had). I rubbed with SPG and pulled at 206 degrees. Probed like butter and was oozing juice. The reveal will be tomorrow. I wrapped in butcher with some tallow, vac sealed, and threw in the fridge.

20230903_155720

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20230903_155720
Last edited byKM0AGA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is the reveal. This thing was oozing juice. Awesome smoke flavor. The edges were a little crisp. I reheated using the souse vide at 150 degrees for 1 hour. Parts were a little dry but overall another good cook. I tried to get a picture of the flop but the pieces were breaking apart.

20230904 _15114620230904_151329

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20230904 _151146
  • 20230904_151329
Last edited byKM0AGA

Looks like it was tasty. When I've done chuck roasts, I use the smoker to get smoke flavor in before more traditional braising in a flavored liquid (in the oven), until pullable. I've found that chuck roasts cooked like brisket are just too dry. Not the the same fat-to-meat profile to start, nor the same collagen to gelatin breakdown process (which is the "stall"), that is the key to tender and juicy brisket.

McCormicks makes a pretty good seasoning mix folks use for ground beef. You can use this mix and water to heat up the shredded beef or make your own sauce. Same for enchiladas. I imagine using a smoked chuck would add a whole new flavor profile for tacos and enchiladas. And I am thinking of smoking a chuck one of these days just for that reason.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.
Baidu
map